Tenerife Golf, the national association for the promotion of golf on the largest of the Canary Islands, has engaged Azalea to handle its PR and marketing interests in the UK.
Comprising the island’s nine golf clubs, various hotels and some of Tenerife’s destination management companies (DMCs), Tenerife Golf – part of the Tenerife Tourism Corporation (TTC) portfolio – is jointly funded by its members and the national government.
With the volcanic island already recognised as arguably the leading choice for northern European golfers in the winter months, Tenerife Golf is looking to showcase the unique destination as a stand-out golf holiday proposition between April and October, when, unlike many other ‘year-round’ options, the temperature remains conducive to golfing.
Average summer temperatures of 23°c provide the ideal climate to enjoy a relaxing golf break thanks to cooling trade winds; while – in contrast to almost everywhere else – golf and hotel rates are generally 20 per cent cheaper than in winter time.
The Tenerife Golf brand is responsible for promoting nine golf-course members, 17 four- and five-star hotel partners and several local transfer companies.
Vicente Dorta, Turismo de Tenerife chief executive, explained: “We did not hesitate to re-engage Azalea as we have worked with them previously and they have a tangible record of achievement for our brand.
“Everybody knows Tenerife as a great winter golf destination, yet, as ‘the island of eternal spring’ – owing to our excellent climate – it’s also the perfect place to play golf, and enjoy it, 12 months a year.
“What’s more, the island also has plenty of other attractions for golfers and non-golfers, making it the perfect all-round holiday destination too … at any time of the year.”
Andy Barwell, a director with marcomms specialist Azalea, added: “It’s a pleasure to be working once again with Vicente and the team at Tenerife Golf. With noticeably longer days, courses in perfect condition, great temperatures, easy flight access and hotel rates significantly lower than the winter season, Tenerife has everything needed for the ideal summer golfing break.
“And we are looking forward to raising public awareness of the opportunities that exist there for a wonderful break at any time of the year.”
Tenerife features nine different and varied layouts: Buenavista in the west, Real Club de Golf de Tenerife in the north, and Golf Costa Adeje, Abama, Las Americas, Golf del Sur, Amarilla, and Los Palos in the south. Tecina Golf is a 40-minute ferry ride from the mainland on the beautiful island of La Gomera.
The island also offers 70km of beaches and a wide range of cultural highlights and activities both on and off the water, making it the ideal location for a golf break. Tenerife is served by two airports – Tenerife North and Tenerife South – with flight times of around four-and-a-half hours from the UK.
For more details on playing golf in Tenerife, visit www.webtenerife.com/golf; www.facebook.com/TenerifeGolf; or on Twitter @TwiTenerifeGolf. Or download the free Tenerife Golf app for iOS and Android.
Information for journalists
Press release written and distributed by Azalea.
- Tenerife is the largest of Spain’s Canary Islands, and shares capital status with the island of Gran Canaria.
- Tenerife is located in the north-east of the Atlantic Ocean, just more than 300km off the west coast of Africa.
- It is set in a subtropical climate zone, with pleasant spring temperatures all year round, and an average annual temperature of 23°c.
- The population of the island is approximately 900,000.
- Tenerife boasts nearly 400km of coastline, 70 beaches and a variety of high-end resorts and boutique hotels, many of which offer leading facilities and spectacular sunset ocean views and including the highest concentration of five-star hotels on a Spanish coastline.
- The spring climate of Tenerife enables golf to be played comfortably all year round, even in summer, when courses have special offers and the mild, pleasant climate makes the sport even more enjoyable.
- Its nine courses – including El Tecina on the nearby island of La Gomera – were all designed by renowned golf architects, making Tenerife a paradise for golfers. Add in the vast range of supplementary attractions, including all manner of excellent golf establishments and facilities, combined with a wide variety of leisure activities, an unforgettable stay is guaranteed both on and off the green.
- Tenerife is barely a four-hour flight from the UK. Regular flights are available from many regional airports in the UK and Ireland.
- Tenerife has two international airports as well as two ports, one in Santa Cruz and the other in Los Cristianos.
TENERIFE TOURISM CORPORATION
- The Tenerife Tourism Corporation is a membership-led independent body, supported by the public and private sectors, which markets Tenerife overseas as a tourist destination.
- Tenerife Golf is one of its portfolio of specific brands.
High-resolution images of golf in Tenerife may be downloaded from http://bit.ly/TEN-17.
For further information or pictures please contact Andy Barwell on 01730 711920 or email email@example.com.